Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I won't be home to receive my UPS shipment. What do I do?

When you know that you will not be home during the time your normal delivery takes place, there are several options.

1) Arrange with a neighbor to sign for the package on your behalf.

2) When the UPS driver tries to deliver and nobody is home to sign, he or she will leave a yellow and brown "Info Notice" sticky note on your door. There will be instructions on the note as to how you can pick up your package.

3) The driver will make 3 delivery attempts before sending the package back to the shipper. If you receive an Info Notice, take action!

4) Have the package redirected to your work location. If you are able to receive packages at work, call the number on the Info Notice and have the package sent to work.

5) Call 1-800-PICK-UPS and have the associate either redirect your package or put your package on HOLD at the local hub facility. They usually have a customer counter that is open until around 6:00 p.m. where you can go after work to retrieve your package. They will hold the package for an additional 5 days to give you time to get to the hub to pick up your package.

6) When you order your product, have the company ship the package with the "Shipper Release" option. This will require the driver to simply drop the package at your door and leave. The driver normally has the choice of obtaining a signature or not; however, with shipper release, the driver has no choice but to leave the package. Understand that Shipper Release releases the shipper, the driver, and UPS of all liability associated with leaving the package at the door. If it gets stolen, there will be no claim paid for the missing product.

7) Rent a private mailbox at your local The UPS Store. We can sign for all of your parcels and call you when they arrive. Pick them up at your leisure!

So, stop by your local The UPS Store to learn more about how to ship and receive packages more efficiently!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Informative! Thank You!

7:40 AM  
Blogger DianeZee said...

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sadly I have doubt that shipper release works with some packages. Certain ones require a signature due to government regulations, such as pipe tobacco.

3:18 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

So sad...the most prosperous country in the world, and the extra we pay for 'residential delivery' does not indeed get us delivery when we are most likely to be at residence. I figure I pay UPS to get a package within 5mi of my home. Then it's up to me to brave the worst evening rush hour traffic in the country to stand in line, and get my car door dinged in the cramped parking area by the loser ahead of me. I wish UPS cared enough to fix this, but obviously it's not in their financial interest. Sad.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Shipping Information said...

@Dan, you are correct. If a shipper sends a package with signature required, UPS is NOT permitted to leave the package without a signature. In the case of alcohol, the receiver must be 21 years of age or older to sign for the package. Shipper release is an option selected by the SENDER of the package, not the RECEIVER. The receiver has no say if the sender pays for a particular level of service such as signature required, the driver is bound by that contractual agreement with the sender.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Shipping Information said...

@Chris, I have not idea what you are talking about. Are you saying that if you are not home to receive a signature required package, you have to go to the local hub facility to pick it up and there are parking issues and traffic issues? If you live in a safe area, the driver will normally leave the package for you. If it was sent with a signature required by the shipper, the driver must obtain a signature to release the package. Most of the packages are sent without any preference. In these cases, the driver has the discretion, in consultation with the hub manager, to leave a package or require a signature. If the driver wants a signature, they will attempt to deliver the package on 3 consecutive business days, and will put an info-notice on the door each day the package was not delivered to give you an indication when the driver will attempt the next delivery. Hope this helps.

5:08 PM  
Blogger minnesotatwo said...

Just tried to re-direct a package (because UPS had a plane breakdown) and the refused to redirect the package! Great Customer Service UPS. A couple of weeks ago they "lost" my shipped package and then wouldn't pay to replace it. Fed Ex here I come.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am very lost myself. I contacted the seller/shipper let them know I was not going to be home, and to make sure UPS would leave the package at my door. I am 100% absolutly positive, would put my life on it that it was not left due to a LAZY drive who didn't bother to follow instructions. I know that leaving the package is a possibility, I have watched them do it in my apartment complex, everyone has private seperate entrances, and I am in a MORE than very safe area. I've seen packages sit in front of apartment doors for 2-4days. This item/package I specifically PAID 1 DAY OVERNIGHT shipping costs, to have it to my door, and in my possession before the weekend. The driver on the other hand aparently decided....hey this guy paid the very high overnight charges, so I will just not leave his package, even tho the sender requested it.

I wil now go out of my way, and INCONVIENCE myself MORE THAN WILLINGLY, even if it means not buying items, to NEVER SHIP MY ITEMS PURCHASED THROUGH ....UPS...I will always contact the seller/shipper and pay 3 times more for shipping if I need to and request ONLY U.S.P.S. OR FEDEX.. and honestly that's ok with me, I went to a service center to pick something up a few months back, because AGAIN I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, and litterally watched the guy at the UPS pick up center THROWING PACKAGES AROUND.......NOT LIGHTLY...AND IN FRONT OF AT LEAST 5 OTHER PEOPLE IN LINE BEHIND ME.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Chad, if you requested the shipment to be left, the shipper would have to manifest with package with the "Shipper Release" option. You can call 1-800-742-5877 and press 0 a couple of times to reach an operator. Have the operator check how the package was manifested. If it was not "Shipper Release" then it becomes the decision of the driver whether or not to leave a package. Generally, in apartment complexes, where many people have access to the entrance to a particular apartment, they will NOT leave a package. It sounds to me as if it occurred this way.

You can also search Youtube for various videos for ALL of the carriers where an employee is not taking care to handle a package correctly. Nobody will deny that it happens, but it is the exception rather than the rule. Hope this helps!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Couture911 said...

#2 is supposed to happen, but often does not. I can't sign the Info Notice if the drive does not leave it at my door. Either they lie when they claim they attempted to deliver it, or they lie when they claim to have left an Info Notice.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home